As residents of Cutler Bay, Cantamar supports the Town’s efforts to “go green.”
We can all contribute to a better community and a better world
by following some of these Green Tips.
Together, We Can Help Fight Global Warming
The big culprit behind global warming is CO2. The less we create, the better for the planet. We can all help by taking a few simple steps, like these:
- Use compact fluorescent or LED light bulbs
- Adjust your thermostat by 2 degrees
- Carpool to work once a week
- Buy energy efficient appliances
- Consider a hybrid car
- Use reusable shopping bags
- Properly inflate tires
Take action. Become a Global Green activist.
Actions can add up to significant change.
Help protect the environment by stopping unwanted catalogs
This Web site allows you to decline specific catalogs, but keep the ones you really want.
Cutler Bay Goes Green
The Town of Cutler Bay is starting to “go green”. The Town Council has set aside funds for green-building initiatives including paying for consultants to direct the efforts and develop a “green” vision for our Town. They have also approved funds to purchase 2 hybrid cars for code compliance officers and a diesel pickup truck for the public works department which can run on biodiesel.
Four council members and the town manager attended a conference on green building in Chicago. They will use some of the funds to apply for a green local government certification.
Congratulations to the Town of Cutler Bay, the 1st Certified Green City in Miami-Dade County!
Cutler Bay’s Green Moratorium makes our Town the first in the South East to establish building restrictions of commercial development. The moratorium requires new developments to participate in one of multiple sustainability certification programs, including LEED (USBGC Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) or the Florida Green Building Coalition.
The Town of Cutler Bay’s Go Green Initiative promotes and encourages environmental responsibility in our community.
As part of its effort to be an environmentally responsible community, the Town of Cutler Bay is encouraging residents to “opt out” of receiving AT&T directories if you do not expect to use them.
Call AT&T at 866-329-7118 and request to be removed from the Local Business Directory delivery distribution list.
Please let the Town know if you have participated in this effort by contacting email@example.com.
Green Tips: Water-Saving Suggestions
Now that we are under once a week watering restriction due to the severe drought in our Water Management District, here are some suggestions on ways we can save water (helpful for the environment and our water bills).
- Be sure your sprinklers are set to water on the correct days (Saturdays and Wednesdays for odd-numbered addresses, Thursdays and Sundays for even-numbered addresses). It is best to water your lawn just before dawn for the most efficient water use. This allows the water to soak in before the sun evaporates it, but does not keep the lawn so wet that it encourages mold or mushroom growth. Set your timer accordingly.
- Keep a watering can (or pitcher) on your kitchen counter. When gathering partially drunk glasses of water to wash, pour the excess water in the watering can and use it to water your plants rather than pouring it down the drain.
- When running water to warm up for your shower, place a bucket in the shower over the drain to catch the bulk of the water. Use this to water your plants that need extra water.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
- Most dishes do not need to be rinsed before being placed in the dishwasher. Wait until the dishwasher is full before running it.
- Wait until you have full loads of laundry before running the washing machine, and be sure to set the machine for the appropriate water level.
- Check out this Water Conservation Calculator for a family water audit and additional water saving tips .
If you have green tips for saving energy or water,
please e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Links to more Green Tips
Green Living Ideas
Global Green USA
Florida Solar Energy Center
Green Building Guide – Tips for going green and saving money when making home improvements or upgrades
Green Furniture Guide – Not only does this page have information on green furniture, but it also has additional links to more green furniture sites
Going Green in Your Home
Recycling Bags and other Plastic – In addition to the information on this page, it also provides additional links on recycling
Your Car’s Carbon Footprint – This site contains a lot of good information on reducing the environmental impact of driving and links to other helpful sites
Green Car Guide – This site contains links to several sites with information about green autos and the future of the automotive industry.
Recycling Links – This site contains links to several sites with information about recycling a wide variety of materials including glass, plastic, metal & more
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle Plastic Containers – This site contains links to more ways to protect the environment.
Green Home Resource Guide – This site contains more links for resources for ways to improve or protect the environment.
Green Guide for Kids at Home – This site contains tips for going green that parents can share with their kids.
Household Water Use – This site has a variety of tips for saving water in the home and garden.
Becoming a Treehugger – Tips to care for the environment
Smoking and the Environment – How Cigarette Butts Pollute The Environment
Saving Water in the Garden – 13 Tips for Conserving Water In Your Garden
Recycling your old Mattress – Tips on reusing or recycling mattresses
Recycling Clothing – Tips for Selling, Donating and Recycling Old Clothing
Home Water Conservation Guide for Parents with Kids – Family-friendly water saving tips
Solar Power Guide – Information on solar power and renewable energy
Eco-Friendly Flooring – Information on environmentally friendly flooring
LED Lights – Information about LED lights and how they help the environment
Energy-Efficient Deck Lighting – How to choose energy-efficient lighting for decks and other outdoor applications
How to Safely Get Rid of 50 Household Items – Recycling and other tips for clearly out your belongings
Recycling Tires – Where and how to recycle tires and information on disposal fees
Recycling Lights – How to dispose of/recycling deck lights (information could apply to any lights; however, note that this site is based in Minneapolis so their local retailers aren’t relevant)
EcoWatch Incentives Calculator – Helps consumers understand what rebates and tax credits they qualify for under the Inflation Reduction Act with its host of tax credits and discounts on everything from electric cars to solar energy.
These links are provided for the convenience of the Community, and the Cantamar Homeowners’ Association takes no liability nor makes any endorsements as to the services provided.